|Back to Back Issues Page|
Too Nice To Slice, #009 -- The Best Lemon Buttercream Ever!
May 31, 2009
Easy Cake Ideas Newsletter, Issue #009 -- The Best Lemon Buttercream Ever...
May 29th, 2009
This newsletter is brought to you from the Easy Cake Ideas website. Each issue brings you up to date with fabulous new cake additions, contests, tutorials, reader questions, decorating tips & tricks and more. Together we'll unleash your inner 'cake diva'...
It's A Lemon Thing
There's just something about sunshine and lemons - they go together like chocolate and well, anything really :-).
So whenever the first few, almost summer-like days appear, I can't help but crave a treat that's a little sweet and a lot lemony.
Read on to see this month's featured recipe - Lemon Cheesecake Cupcakes With Lemon Mousseline Buttercream.
If this doesn't fulfill all your lemon desires, then I just don't know what will!
New Cakes This Month
Just in time for Summer. Check out these great new additions:
These amazing cakes have been submitted by our talented visitors. Want to be part of the fun? Great!
Check out these great new additions:
What's New At Easy Cake Ideas?
More Video Tutorials
New tutorials added this month:
Check our "What's New" page for more new articles and inspiration! The "What's New" page points you to all the newest cake projects, tips and techniques the moment they're added so you don't miss a thing!
There's new ideas bubbling up around here all the time.
You've Got Questions...We've Got Answers!
If there's a cake related question that's been bugging you, check for answers in the "Ask A Cake Question" http://www.easy-cake-ideas.com/decorating-a-cake.html#Visito rPages area. If no-one has asked that question yet, post your question http://www.easy-cake-ideas.com/decorating-a-cake.html#INV and you'll become part of this great free resource.
The questions have been pouring in this month from all over the place.
Here are some of the most recent:
Don't be shy. Come on over and join the conversation. Everyone's welcome to contribute the knowledge pool.
See you there!
It's all about the layers of flavor - the hint of lemon cupcakes, the little burst of lightly lemon cheesecake filling in the center and to top it off, the explosion of heavenly tart lemon mousseline buttercream.
This has to be the best lemon buttercream, ever!
I dare you - just try and stop at one!
for the cupcakes:
for the cheesecake filling:
for the lemon mousseline buttercream:
Here's how you do it:
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 x 12 hole cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
1. In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar together on medium speed until lighter in color and fluffy (about 8 minutes).
2. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing until well incorporated after each.
3. Add lemon zest and extract; mix well.
4. Sift the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl and use a wire whisk to mix together.
5. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the sour cream, starting and finishing with dry ingredients.
6. Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for about 25 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.
7. Make the filling by mixing the cream cheese, powdered sugar, lemon zest and juice until well combined. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
8. To make the mousseline buttercream: in the bowl of your mixer, beat the egg yolks on medium speed while making the sugar syrup.
9. In a small saucepan, over medium heat, combine lemon juice and sugar. Slowly dissolve the sugar and allow to mixture to come to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes then turn off heat.
10. With the mixer running on high speed, pour the syrup carefully onto the egg yolks, ensuring that it does not come directly in contact with beaters.
11. Beat for 2 minutes on high speed then turn down to medium and continue to beat until the mix is completely cool and has almost doubled in volume. This step is very important and may take 10-15 minutes!
12. With mixer on medium speed, add the butter, one 1/2" slice at a time, until it has all been incorporated. If at any time, the mixture looks slightly curdled, increase the speed slightly and beat until smooth before continuing to add more butter.
1. Fit a piping bag with a #18 star tip (or similar) and fill with the cheesecake filling.
2. Poke the tip into the center of each cupcake and wiggle it around a bit. Squeeze the bag until you see the filling come to the top of the hole you made.
3. Fit a piping bag with a #1M tip (or similar) and fill the bag with the lemon mousseline buttercream.
4. Pipe a decorative swirl of frosting on each cupcake.
Now why are you still reading? Go enjoy those cupcakes!
If you like this newsletter, please "email it forward" to someone you know who might appreciate it. If a friend did forward this to you and you like what you read, please subscribe now!
As our site and community grows, I hope that you drop me a line and tell me what creative cake stuff you are up to! Did you make a masterpiece that was inspired by something on our site? Pretty please play "show and tell" with the rest of us! Often, having an audience for your cakes is just the thing you need to get you started.
Feel free to send in tips or questions too! We love mail!
|Back to Back Issues Page|