Adding variety for child with nut allergies
My son has severe nut allergies and I am limited to using ingredients from nut-free facilities only. I know how to make vanilla and chocolate buttercreams and cream cheese frosting. My only chocolate ingredients include a chocolate syrup, a cocoa powder and chocolate chips (no bakers squares, etc.) I have no approved extracts/flavorings. Every time he is invited to a party, I send the same boring cupcake for him, while the other kids get to have birthday cake. So my question is: how can I make fluffy fillings to add variety to his cakes and cupcakes? Can I mix a stabilized whipped cream into a buttercream? Can I use fruit preserves or orange juice concentrate to flavor a buttercream or cream cheese frosting? I would be so grateful for any advice! Thank you!
From the editor:
Buttercream and cream cheese frosting both take any of these flavors really well:
* dry spices like cinnamon, ginger or chai mix (cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and ginger). The Spice Hunter brand is manufactured in a nut free facility. Find them at your supermarket or buy direct from the thespicehunter.com
* frozen fruit juice concentrates work really well, especially orange or orange/mango.
* 100% fruit preserves are good. Start with about 1/2 cup per batch of buttercream and add more, to taste.
*fruit curds are a great way to liven up a filling or frosting. Check out this key line pie frosting recipe for an example of how to use them.
You can lighten a buttercream or cream cheese frosting with the addition of whipped cream.
For an unexpected twist to your next batch of birthday party cupcakes, try this trick:
1. use a pastry bag fitted with a bismarck tip (Ateco #230 or similar) to inject fruit filling into the center of the cupcakes before frosting. Here's a recipe you may like:
2 1/2 - 3 cups fresh fruit
3/4 c sugar
3 tbsp cornstarch
1 c water
In a large saucepan combine fruit and sugar. Cook over medium heat until almost boiling. Mix cornstarch in cold water and add to pan, stirring constantly until boiling and thickened. Cool before using. this works with just about any fruit you can imagine.
Try these combinations:
1. Strawberry filling with mango cream cheese frosting
2. Mandarin fruit filling with orange creamsicle frosting
3. Apple filling with caramel cheesecake frosting
looking for something in particular?
If you want to find something in a hurry? No Problem. Find the answers you need here:
still have questions?
If you still have any questions about baking, assembling or decorating a cake, ask them here!
keep the excitement going
Never be short of a great cake idea at a moment's notice.
Sign up for the "Too Nice To Slice" newsletter and get fantastic
insider tips, tricks and out of the box cake decorating ideas delivered
right to your inbox.
share the love
If you like what you see, why not share this site with your friends? There's always something new baking around here.