butter knife icing decoration

by rina
(austin, tx)

I am baking a wedding cake for my nephew. I have seen pictures of very simple icing decorations where the icing appears to have had a butter knife or spatula dragged from bottom to top in a vertical pattern, over and over again around the whole cake. How does one create that affect. I've heard it called "butter knife" decoration.

From the editor:

Hi Rina,

That type of look is often achieved with a decorating comb, but you could also use a homemade version. Just cut a piece of acetate, which is available at most craft stores, to about 3"x 6" then cut a scalloped edge on the short side. Run your decorating comb from bottom to top all around the sides of the cake, to add the vertical ridges in the buttercream.

Alternatively, and this is my favorite version, you can use a small offset spatula to add the vertical ridges. This method gives you a more artisinal, less perfect look.

Good luck!

Michelle (editor)

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Questions About Decorating a Cake.

looking for something in particular?

If you want to find something in a hurry? No Problem. Find the answers you need here:

search this site

Custom Search

still have questions?

If you still have any questions about baking, assembling or decorating a cake, ask them here!

keep the excitement going

Never be short of a great cake idea at a moment's notice.

Sign up for the "Too Nice To Slice" newsletter and get fantastic insider tips, tricks and out of the box cake decorating ideas delivered right to your inbox.




Don't worry -- your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you 'Too Nice To Slice'.

share the love

If you like what you see, why not share this site with your friends? There's always something new baking around here.