Need great ideas for cake decorating for weddings?
by guest contributor Debra Luke
A Little Romance Cakes, Everett, WA
So why all the stress over Cake Decorating For Weddings?
We're cake decorators. We bake and decorate cakes, some of us, nearly every day. So why is it we take an extra deep breath when we're cake decorating for weddings?
The answer is so obvious it's a wonder any of us take on this highly specialized task. We have many birthdays, many anniversaries, and many events for which cake is the centerpiece, but hopefully only one wedding. The wedding - the most heavily photographed event of our lives. The wedding cake, sitting in a place of honor at its own table, is what marks a wedding reception as the special event it is. Otherwise, it's just a party.
This is the day your bride has fantasized about since she was a little girl. Her head shrouded in a white shawl, clutching a bouquet of dandelions in her tiny hands; she makes her way down the staircase precariously balanced in mom's white heels. And we wonder why there is trepidation associated with cake decorating for weddings.
so what do we do about it?
How do you move past those feelings of anxiety?
Perfect Your Craft
There are lots of great resources out there for improving your cake decorating for weddings:
- Internet: YouTube (www.youtube.com) and Google Videos (http://video.Google.com/) have hundreds of videos that demonstrate numerous decorating techniques.
- Books/DVDs: Books by Colette Peters and Dede Wilson are among my favorites. I also have several Wilton Books - not the year books, but books that focus on specifics of cake decorating. As powerful as books are, DVD's let you hit the replay button until you?ve got a technique down pat. Check the wedding cake tab at www.easy-cake-ideas.com for upcoming book/DVD reviews.
- Classes: Look beyond the Wilton classes, although they are a great way to start. Check www.meetup.com to see if anyone in your area has started a cake decorating group. I teach a monthly class in the Everett, WA through www.meetup.com. Local decorating supply stores may offer classes. Sometimes you can find specialty classes taught by well-known cake artists. They are pricey, but are worth it if they are teaching on a subject in which you want to excel.
- And now, Easy-Cake-Ideas.com has added a wedding cake tab that will feature photos, tips and tricks, and book/DVD reviews. Be sure to check back here regularly for updates. Post your wedding cake photos here along with information on how you completed your project.
I love to share my passion and look forward to sharing it with you.
Debra, A Little Romance Cakes, Everett, WA.
cake decorating for weddings...examples
Check out these beautiful cakes for techniques and ideas to get you started:
- Black Pearls Wedding Cake - this striking design is make entirely of royal icing dots, proving you don't need to use fancy techniques to make a fabulous cake.
- Pink Veil Wedding Cake - shows off a beautiful hand painted finish that anyone can learn.
- Latte Land, although not created for a wedding, shows the spectaular things you can do with simple modeling chocolate techniques.
Debra Luke is pastry chef for A Little Romance Cakes located in Everett, WA and serving the Snohomish County area. She specializes in custom cakes presented as art and incorporates a wide variety of cake decorating techniques. She features traditional or gluten free wedding cakes as well as cakes and cupcakes for all occasions.
looking for something in particular?
If you want to find something in a hurry? No Problem. Find the answers you need here:
search this site
still have questions?
If you still have any questions about baking, assembling or decorating a cake, ask them here!
keep the excitement going
Never be short of a great cake idea at a moment's notice.
Sign up for the "Too Nice To Slice" newsletter and get fantastic insider tips, tricks and out of the box cake decorating ideas delivered right to your inbox.
share the love
If you like what you see, why not share this site with your friends? There's always something new baking around here.