can I use castor sugar for a butter cream filling
I have just put a chocolate cake in the oven and realized I don't have any icing sugar. Can I use castor sugar instead for the butter cream filling?
From the editor:
You can't use castor sugar for regular buttercream, but you could make a swiss meringue buttercream.
Here's a great swiss meringue buttercream recipe from dyannbakes.com that I've had great success with, if you'd like to try:
4 oz (1/2 cup) egg whites
8 oz ( 1 cup) granulated sugar
12 oz (3 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into cubes Pinch of salt
1. Combine the egg whites, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl and place over simmering water.
2. While continuously beating with a whisk, heat until egg whites are hot and all the sugar is dissolved (~140 degrees). If the sugar is not completely melted, your final product will be grainy, so make sure!
3. Remove from the heat and place the bowl in your mixer. Whisk on medium speed until meringue is stiff, and the mixing bowl is cool to the touch. The meringue will be white with a bright sheen, and very sticky!
4. Switch to the paddle attachment, and on medium speed add the butter a few cubes at a time. Please note, if the meringue is not completely cool, the butter will melt instead of combining evenly.
5. Continue beating until all the butter is incorporated. At one point it may appear as if the mixture has “broken”, looking watery and separated like curdled milk. Continue mixing...it will all come together, I promise!
6. Increase speed to high, and beat until smooth.
7. Add flavorings of your choice and tint with coloring paste
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Questions About Decorating a Cake.
looking for something in particular?
If you want to find something in a hurry? No Problem. Find the answers you need here:
still have questions?
If you still have any questions about baking, assembling or decorating a cake, ask them here!
keep the excitement going
Never be short of a great cake idea at a moment's notice.
Sign up for the "Too Nice To Slice" newsletter and get fantastic
insider tips, tricks and out of the box cake decorating ideas delivered
right to your inbox.
share the love
If you like what you see, why not share this site with your friends? There's always something new baking around here.