looking for the best carrot cake recipe?
home>>great cake recipes>>carrot cake recipe
This Carrot Cake Recipe will surprise lots of people who, until now, would have sworn they didnt care for it. Personally, I cant understand anyone not loving such warm, spicy, moist cake slathered with rich Cream Cheese Frosting but hey, thats just me. Go figure!
Any time you can make a serving of veggies taste this good it cant be a bad thing. And speaking of veggies, carrots arent the only thing you can use. This is a really versatile recipe that can take you from Carrot Cake to Pumpkin Spice Cake to Banana Cake and beyond with just a few simple substitutions.
See the list of amazing flavor variations after the main recipe.
You have to try this Carrot Cake Recipe layered and filled with Chai Spice Cheesecake filling.
And for perfect cake presentation the easy way, all you need is a fabulous .
looking for something in particular?
If you want to find something in a hurry? No Problem. Find the answers you need here:
search this site
still have questions?
If you still have any questions about baking, assembling or decorating a cake, ask them here!
carrot cake recipe - carrot cake
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups oil
- 2 cups dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground mace
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional I usually leave these out)
- 1 cup raisins (optional I usually leave these out too!)
here's how you do it:
carrot cake recipe - carrot cake
Preheat oven to 350° F and prepare 2 x 9 inch round cake pans by spraying with non-stick cooking spray and lining bottom of pan with a wax paper circle.
1. In the bowl of your electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat the eggs, oil and sugar at high speed until light and fluffy.
2. sift the flour, baking soda, spices and salt together on to a piece of parchment or wax paper.
3. add the dry ingredients to the mixer bowl and mix on low speed until almost incorporated.
4. add the carrots and raisins and walnuts (if using) and mix on low speed just until smooth.
5. pour 1/3 of the batter into one pan and 2/3 into the other and bake. Start checking the pans after 30 minutes and every 10 minutes after that, until a cake tester comes out clean.
6.cool in pan for 15 minutes then turn out onto rack and cool completely.
7.when completely cool, wrap well in cling wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour, then slice the thicker layer in two horizontally so that now you have three layers for filling and stacking.
some unexpected twists to this carrot cake recipe...
Here are some variations you might not have thought of. Try them I know youll be surprised!
Orange Spiced Carrot Cake
- leave out the raisins
add the following:
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- add 1/3 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
- add ½ cup shredded coconut
- add zest and juice concentrate with the eggs, oil and sugar in the basic recipe.
Pumpkin Spice Cake
This is my take on a Pumpkin Bread recipe a friend gave me. It's fabulous served warm with coffee or fill it and frost it as a Halloween Jack O Lantern Cake.
- Substitute a 15 ounce can of pumpkin puree for the carrots
- replace the oil with 2/3 cup coconut milk
Spiced Banana Cake
- substitute 4 large mashed bananas for the carrots
- reduce the oil to ½ cup
- add 1/3 cup sour cream
- add sour cream with the eggs, oil and sugar in the basic recipe.
a bundt pan makes perfection easy...
For a perfect, easy presentation of your Carrot Cake grab yourself one of these fantastic cake pans. Just bake and dust with a little powdered sugar. It doesn't get any easier than that!
keep the excitement going
Never be short of a great cake idea at a moment's notice.
Sign up for the "Too Nice To Slice" newsletter and get fantastic insider tips, tricks and out of the box cake decorating ideas delivered right to your inbox.
share the love
If you like what you see, why not share this site with your friends? There's always something new baking around here.