Need a great christening cake idea?
Heres A Christening Cake idea thats really simple and beautiful. The Dove theme signifies hope and the receiving of faith two sentiments that perfectly express such a special occasion.
You may not be divinely inspired in the kitchen but with this heavenly design no-one else will know that! You and I will be the only ones who know it didnt take you days to make this baby cake and I wont tell if you dont!
Its amazing what an impact you can have with just one color. The trick is the added texture. The intricate texture on the frosting looks impressive but its really very quick and easy to do. All you need is a patterned paper towel doesnt get much simpler than that! You may not be a Da Vinci in the art department but you sure can be a baby cake artist with an inspired design like this at your next Christening.
To complete your party theme, check out these beautiful co-ordinating party supplies
This Christening Cake design would also make a fabulous wedding cake.
ingredients for the perfect christening cake
- Cake - Lemon Scented White Velvet Cake is perfect
- Filling - Whipped Lemon Mousse is heavenly
- White buttercream frosting
- White pre-made fondant
- Patterned paper towel sheets
- Clip art drawing of a Dove about 2 high
- Cake plate or board large enough to hold finished cake
First Steps To A Perfect Christening Cake
- bake the cakes and cool completely.
- level the cakes and split each into two layers horizontally.
- fill and assemble each cake on a separate cake circle and secure with a dollop of frosting to stop it from sliding around.
- add a crumb coat - this is a very thin coat of un-tinted frosting you apply to 'set' the crumbs.
- refrigerate the cake(s) while you make the Dove decorations.
making The Doves
- cut around the dove on your drawing this will act as your template.
- roll out a golf ball sized piece of pre-made fondant to about 1/8" thick.
- place the template on the fondant and, using a small sharp knife, cut around the dove.
- cut around one wing of the dove about 1/8" inside the line of the wing and fold this down, as shown, to add interest and detail to the design.
- repeat for each dove and set aside to dry while you assemble your cake.
- insert a 4 long, thin (28 gauge) wire about 2" in to the bottom of three of the doves.
Assembling Your Christening Cake
- frost the top and sides of your Cake(s) with the white buttercream frosting and refrigerate for at least an hour, preferably two or three, to harden the frosting.
- place your cake on a plate or board with at least 4 of room all around. Secure with double sided tape to prevent slipping.
- lay a sheet of patterned paper towel on the surface of the frosting and rub gently with the back of a large spoon.
- remove the paper towel and repeat all over the cake to complete the texture detail, as shown.
- using a Ziploc bag with a medium hole snipped in one corner and some white frosting, pipe a line of individual pearls around the top edge of the top tier, the bottom edge where the two tiers join, the top edge of the bottom tier and the bottom edge of the cake. Optionally, pipe a line of pearls on the cake board about 3 from the bottom edge of the cake to add extra detail, as shown.
- position five doves evenly around the sides of the bottom cake tier and attach with a small dab of frosting.
- position three doves around the sides of the top cake tier and secure with frosting.
- insert the three doves with the wires in a circle on top of the cake.
You're done! Now go get a well deserved cup of coffee and sit back for a few minutes to admire your handiwork. Remember to take a picture while your masterpiece still looks perfect.
beautiful finishing touches for your celebration
Got a great Christening Cake idea? Check. Now all you need for the perfect celebration is beautiful, co-ordinating party supplies.
You can find everything you need right here. Check it out:
keep the excitement going
Never be short of a great cake idea at a moment's notice.
Sign up for the "Too Nice To Slice" newsletter and get fantastic insider tips, tricks and out of the box cake decorating ideas delivered right to your inbox.
share the love
If you like what you see, please bookmark this site and share it with your friends. I'm always adding new ideas!
Glad you stopped by. Enjoy your visit!