Ingredient Equivalents US to Australia

by Shelley

Your basic butter cream recipe calls from 2 pound of powdered sugar, is that icing sugar in Australia?
Also it calls for 2 sticks of butter, in Aussie where I live we don't get sticks of butter, so what weight of butter do I use? Also can you use something else instead of shorting?

From the editor:

Hi Shelley,

Since I grew up in Australia, you're in luck. I can answer all your questions:

1. Powdered sugar in the US is the same thing as Icing Sugar in Australia.

2. Each stick of butter is 4 ounces or half a cup.

3. Shortening is the same as Copha, but you can also use all butter, if you like.

Thanks for your question.

Michelle (editor)

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Questions About Decorating a Cake.

looking for something in particular?

If you want to find something in a hurry? No Problem. Find the answers you need here:

search this site

Custom Search

still have questions?

If you still have any questions about baking, assembling or decorating a cake, ask them here!

keep the excitement going

Never be short of a great cake idea at a moment's notice.

Sign up for the "Too Nice To Slice" newsletter and get fantastic insider tips, tricks and out of the box cake decorating ideas delivered right to your inbox.




Don't worry -- your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you 'Too Nice To Slice'.

share the love

If you like what you see, why not share this site with your friends? There's always something new baking around here.