Need a great nemo cake idea?
home>>character birthday cakes>>nemo cake
A Nemo Cake is the perfect choice if youre on the hunt for unique Character Birthday Cakes. Your little swimmers eyes will light up when they spy such a super cute rendition of their favorite clown fish!
This enchanting Nemo Cake features an entire underwater world filled with colorful coral, seagrass and even Nemos octopus friend Pearl. But the star of the show is definitely Nemo himself, perched high atop the reef.
This is one cake that will be talked about long after the partys over!
To complete your party theme, check out these great co-ordinating nemo party supplies
ingredients for the perfect nemo Cake
- Cakes - Banana Choc Chip is a great choice
- Filling - Banana Cream Pie Filling is perfect
- 1 recipe of buttercream, from dark to light
- Three shades of blue buttercream, from dark to light
- blue, green, orange, pink and black gel food color
- Ziploc sandwich bags or disposable decorating bags
- Ice-cream scoop
- Plate or board to hold your finished cake
a great nemo cake starts here
- bake the cakes and cool completely.
- level the cakes and split each into two layers horizontally.
- fill and assemble each cake on a separate cake circle and secure with buttercream to stop it from sliding around.
- add a crumb coat - this is a very thin coat of un-tinted buttercream you apply to 'set' the crumbs.
- refrigerate the cake(s) for an hour or so to let the crumb coat set.
...and now for the star of your nemo cake
- take the cake scraps and smoosh them into an ice-cream scoop (very technical term there!).
- put the scooped cake scraps onto some wax paper and, using buttercream to secure, add a small wedge of cake scrap to one side of the scoop to form the tail.
- cover Nemo completely with orange frosting.
- set Nemo in the fridge to allow the buttercream to firm up while you assemble the rest of the cake.
Assemble Your Nemo Cake
- place your cake(s) on a cake plate or board with at least 2 all around and secure with double-sided tape.
- starting at the bottom edge of the cake, frost with dark blue buttercream, graduating to light blue at the top edge and on top of the cake, as shown.
- put 1/2 cup black buttercream in a Ziploc bag or disposable piping bag with a small hole snipped in the bag and pipe some large tree-like seagrass randomly around the base of the cake, making sure it finishes at the bottom edge so it looks anchored in the sea bed.
- put 1/2 cup medium green buttercream in a Ziploc bag or disposable piping bag with a slightly larger hole snipped in the bag and pipe some short seagrass around the base of the cake to act as the sea bed.
- put 2/3 cup pink buttercream in a Ziploc bag or disposable piping bag with a medium hole snipped in the bag and pipe some random pebble-like shapes around the base of the cake to act as coral formations, as shown.
- with the pink buttercream, pipe Pearl the octopus in the short seagrass.
- put 1/2 cup white buttercream in a Ziploc bag or disposable piping bag with a small hole snipped in the bag and pipe two dots on the octopus for eyes and top with a tiny black dot on each eye, as shown.
- place a dollop of buttercream on top of the cake where you want Nemo to sit and gently slide him off the wax paper onto the cake.
- put 1/2 cup orange buttercream in a Ziploc bag or disposable piping bag with a small hole snipped in the bag and form Nemos tail and fins by piping stacked rows of frosting to achieve the desired height and effect.
- with the white buttercream, pipe Nemos stripes and eyeballs.
- with the orange buttercream, pipe smaller dots on top of the white part of Nemos eyeballs.
- with the black buttercream, pipe outlines for Nemos stripes, a tiny dot on each eyeball and a mouth.
- with the green buttercream, pipe some seagrass for Nemo to rest in.
- with the white buttercream, pipe small dots all around the top edge of the cake and small ¼ rings for bubbles around the sides of the cake, as shown, for some extra detail.
- put 2/3 cup of dark blue buttercream in a Ziploc bag or disposable piping bag with a med-large hole snipped in the bag and pipe four adjoining lengths of buttercream to form a ring around the base of the cake.
- with the black buttercream pipe a tiny dot on each of the white dots around the top edge of the cake and a fine black line on top of the blue ring around the base of the cake for some great little finishing details.
You're done! Now go get a well deserved cup of coffee and sit back for a few minutes to admire your handiwork. Remember to take a picture while your masterpiece still looks perfect.
throw a perfect nemo birthday party...the easy way
Got a great Nemo Cake idea? Check. Now all you need for the perfect party is some fun, co-ordinating party supplies.
You can find everything you need right here. Check it out:
keep the excitement going
Never be short of a great cake idea at a moment's notice.
Sign up for the "Too Nice To Slice" newsletter and get fantastic insider tips, tricks and out of the box cake decorating ideas delivered right to your inbox.
share the love
If you like what you see, please bookmark this site and share it with your friends. I'm always adding new ideas!
Glad you stopped by. Enjoy your visit!