what is the icing that professional bakers use?

by Madison

I have noticed that professional bakers use an icing that is like gum paste but it won't dry as hard as a rock. What is it called?


From the editor:

Hi Madison,

That would be fondant, which is gum paste without a hardening agent added. Professionals like it because it gives a perfect, smooth canvas to work on.

You can make your own fondant with this easy marshmallow fondant tutorial.

Michelle (editor)

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Questions About Decorating a Cake.

looking for something in particular?

If you want to find something in a hurry? No Problem. Find the answers you need here:

search this site

Custom Search

still have questions?

If you still have any questions about baking, assembling or decorating a cake, ask them here!

keep the excitement going

Never be short of a great cake idea at a moment's notice.

Sign up for the "Too Nice To Slice" newsletter and get fantastic insider tips, tricks and out of the box cake decorating ideas delivered right to your inbox.




Don't worry -- your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you 'Too Nice To Slice'.

share the love

If you like what you see, why not share this site with your friends? There's always something new baking around here.